VPN & remote access
For copyright reasons, most electronic resources (databases and journals) can only be consulted within the UGent computer network.
Off-campus access is possible:
- with a VPN connection
- through Athena, if you use the included internet browser
VPN requires the installation of a dedicated piece of software on your PC. It might also necessitate a change of password. Both preliminary steps need to be conducted from within the UGent network. Instructions can be found at DICT Helpdesk.
Frequently asked questions:
- VPN is not an easy piece of technology. Don't despair if it's not working at your first attempt. Try Google for a quick answer.
- Known issues are explained at the VPN FAQ.
- If you have a firewall or antivirus software installed, it is possible that it has not been configured to cooperate well with VPN. In that case, you will get an error message even before the verification of your log-in and password. Turn off the firewall/antivirus and try setting up the VPN connection without. After that, you can adjust the firewall/antivirus settings.
- Software that relies heavily on internet connections, such as Skype, can be impacted when using a VPN connection. Consider quitting this type of application before establishing a VPN connection.